Monday, June 20, 2011

To All The Fathers We've Loved Before

It was 10 years this past March that my father slipped quickly away from us having a massive heart attack.  No regrets, we loved each other very much and he and my mother were able to exchange their "I Love You"s just before he left.  On this Father's Day, something hit me particularly hard and I wanted to share with you just how much I miss him.

We had alot of fun growing up.  Sense of humor ran rampant in our household.  While still living in my parents home, my father would take the rubber band from our daily newspaper and "hide" it in my things.  I would find this rubber band in my school books, purse, pockets, mail, you just never quite knew where this rubber band would show up.  Sometimes it was even embarrassing if I didn't find it before one of my friends.  Nevertheless, this is just one example of the "fun" my father and I had.

This particular story was also shared at my father's funeral.  The Pastor, who also knew my father very well, included this great anecdote complete with a visual.  Yep, he held up a rubber band and nearly flooded the Church with my tears.

Now, keep in mind I have had the newspaper delivered to my own home into the proper mailbox slot, everyday for the past 10 years.  However, never has it arrived with a rubber band.  Sometimes in a paper bag, but NEVER with a rubber band.  That is.... until yesterday.  Father's Day.

Happy Father's Day with love to you too, Dad.  Miss You!!

1 comment:

  1. It has taken me awhile to write to you about these memories you have. We had alot of wondeful times in our HOME. The "I Love You" remains a constant reminder to Dad's last words and now that is why I never leave or hang up the phone without saying 'I LOVE YOU' I want those words to be the last words you think of and remember how much we loved our family.

    ReplyDelete